What is choice-creating?
Choice-creating is a heartfelt, creative mode of thinking where people address important issues with the best interests of all in mind. It often arises naturally in a crisis when people put aside their denial of the problem and their roles to engage one another authentically. The natural outcome of choice-creating is unity. Paradoxically, this unity arises not from people compromising and becoming more similar, but through people recognizing and owning their individual uniqueness. Choice-creating evokes unity through shifts and breakthroughs. Breakthroughs require diversity (“e pluribus unum”).
Choice-creating, as distinguished from decision-making, is the heart of democracy. At each level of society—community, city, nation, etc.— "We the People" should ultimately be in charge. We the People should be providing responsible direction to government.
Dynamic Facilitation can reliably evoke choice-creating in small groups. And the Wisdom Council Process and the Creative Insight Council can evoke the spirit of choice-creating in large systems.
Elements of choice-creating include ...
- Facing a vital issue … rather than one we can solve that’s clearly defined
- Speaking with feeling … it's not about being objective or neutral
- Progress happening through shifts and breakthroughs ... it’s not a step by step process
- “Creating the choice" ... rather than "making the decision"
- People being authentic ... rather than holding onto roles and following guidelines
- The space is safe from judgment … rather than agreeing & disagreeing
- Following the energy … rather than an agenda (e.g. jumping to solutions is OK)
- Diversity is an asset … rather than people find themselves valuing different people and views
- A unanimous group conclusion …“co-sensus” more than “consensus”
- A "choice" … more than a "decision"
- Empowerment … people own the issue and feel the energy to take it forward
- New meaning … people create a story of what we are accomplishing
- Spirit of “we” … people come together as “We the People”
- Enhanced individuality ... people become more knowledgable, capable, and unique
More Resources on Choice-creating ...
- Chart comparing ... decision-making vs. choice-creating
- Chart comparing … dialog, deliberation, and choice-creating
- Chart comparing 3 methods of collective choice...decision-making, consensus-building and choice-creating
- Chart comparing "Wise Democracy" (based on choice-creating) vs. "Deliberative Democracy" (based on deliberation)
- Chart comparing Dynamic Facilitation (choice-creating) vs. Traditional Facilitation (decision-making)
- How to Make a Decision without really Making a Decision by Tom Atlee ... as an example of choice-creating achieved through means other than Dynamic Facilitation
See a video interview interview from 2007 on Choice-creating, with guest host Paul Everett
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.